Thursday, April 11, 2013

We CAN do better



I'm late this year, but April is Cesarean Awareness Month.

I wish all first time Moms were open to listening to others. I know I wouldn't have wanted to hear what I could do to prevent having a csection. I wasn't going to have one.

I did.

I wish I would have known a lot of things...

Yes, you are excited for your baby to come. NO, you CANNOT will your baby to come. If your contractions really aren't that bad, don't waste your time at the hospital. You are put on a clock.

DO NOT let them break your water until it is a last resort. You CAN go home if your labor stops and everyone is ok. (I REALLY wish I would have known this one)

Those people who have drug free labors AREN'T doing it for praise and a medal. A lot do it to avoid unnecessary intervention. And yes, it does help you avoid a lot of unnecessary intervention. But I won't get into that...

Your due date is an ESTIMATE. Don't expect your kid to pop out on their due date. Sometime around that date.. give or take 2 weeks. No kidding. It's ok if you go past 40 weeks... and 41 weeks.

And anyone going for a VBAC...

Contrary to popular belief, or sometimes what the doctor says, your uterus will NOT explode if you attempt a VBAC. Yes, you can have a uterine rupture, but that can mean a little tearing... you and your baby will not instantly die from your uterus exploding. And someone who has never had a section before can have a uterine rupture.

You know your body better than anyone else. Trust it.

No comments:

Post a Comment